There’s an issue that seems to have been I introduced after the last round of updates, either a driver or firmware update.
Basically what happens is the connection drops into “limited” mode and you lose connectivity. People have reported various methods to reconnect, I find just disconnecting and reconnecting the connection worked fine… for another 20-30 minutes at least.
My access point has 2.4 and 5ghz so I just switch between them when it happens. Still a huge pain though. There are a few registry related hacks that have been suggested, but I’m going to wait and see if an official fix comes soon.