MS SQL2012 install fails with SQL.CAB is corrupt installing Reporting Services

Posted: August 1, 2013 in Solved, SQL

This only seems to happen when installing Reporting Services, and it’s incredibly annoying. An install of a new database (default or instance) works fine.

sqlcab_corrupt

Install_sql_rs_Cpu64_Action : InstallFiles. Copying new files

The following error has occured:

The cabinet file ‘Sql.cab’ required for this installation is corrupted and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Click ‘Retry’ to retry the failed action, or click ‘Cancel’ to cancel this action and continue setup.

 

A search of install media etc does not find a SQL.CAB file anywhere, so I’m guessing this is either some kind of generic file that is stated in the error, or it’s a file embeded inside another cab somewhere. I’ve tried re-downloading the install DVD media in case it was corrupt but that doesn’t seem to have made any difference.

I have found various technet posts and similar that mention sql.cab corruption, and they talk about it failing when using an ISO file for a virtual DVD in a virtual machine (which I am doing), but this *has* worked at different times using a virtual disc.

SOLUTION

Well, I don’t know if this is specific to something I’m doing, or a quirk of the SQL setup, but the “fix” was copying the contents of the SQL DVD to a local disk on the server and use that as the SQL source file location when prompted. I also downloaded a new copy of the DVD ISO so there’s always the possibility the previous copy was corrupted. This does make me wonder though how a mounted virtual DVD would get corrupted in such a specific way. It’s the third time this has happened, and the same error each time, with a new downloaded ISO each time. If something is corrupting the virtual ISO file then it’s amazingly specific.

Don’t forget to re-run the SP1 setup and any CU patches to update the new component.

Comments
  1. I had the same problem with SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition SP1 x64. I tried using it as a virtual drive..no luck. Extracted the ISO’s to a local drive…no luck. Downloaded a new file from my MSDN..no luck. All giving me the same SQL.Cab error. Then I read about downloading the Enterprise version. I downloaded that file from my MSDN site as an ISO and extracted the ISO to a folder and VIOLA, it finally worked. I finally was able to install Reporting Services – Native.

    What a pain in the ass. I am glad I wasnt the only one having this problem. Why is a problem, I have no clue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s